Tuesday, March 15, 2011

So, it's the Ides of March ....

It's time for some big scary life changes, and that makes it an ideal time for reflection, a time to look both into myself and outward.
Chapter 5 of Finding Our Way Again, entitled "Paul and the Way of Love," McLaren departs from the twentieth-century convention of seeing Paul's teachings as a departure from those of Jesus, and illustrates how Paul emphasizes the practical application of the teachings of Jesus in the daily life of his time.  He gives examples of Paul's imagery, including the metaphors of walking and of pregnancy, as the bridge between theory and practice.
It is one of Paul's images that has been running through my head a lot lately, during financial trouble: 

Philippians 4:12
I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.


I never actually go hungry (but then again, I am easily satisfied where food is concerned), but I have been dealing with financial ups and downs, most particularly the down side.   Even though I don't assume that every word Paul spoke is intended for all people at all times and places, and even though I do work on understanding him in his cultural context, I still like it when I have the feeling that he is speaking to me. 

No comments: